Sunday, April 22, 2012

More S'pore


We work in the MAS (Monetary Authority of Singapore) building – for the first three days we have the 'Penthouse', which means gorgeous view during the breaks and daylight in the room while we work. That's a wonderful thing. We (I) generally have lunch at one hawker stall or another – the food is good, and cheap. Many delegations prefer the air-conditioned restaurants of the area, in which you pay between four and six times as much for the same food. I prefer to spend that money on clothes (not usually, but in this case). I'd noted that an additional suit and a few shirts would come in very handy (if not constitute an actual necessity) and so head out straight to the tailor at the end of our first day (long working days here, so I do not go to the hotel to change, or pass 'Start' – I go directly there. Which is good, because he would have closed 15 minutes later. In this case, he closes 30 minutes later, because that is how long it takes to take measurements and for us to haggle about what I shall order, and to what price. In the end, I spend the per diem for both weeks and then some on two suits, both with an extra pair of pants (bicycle commute and all) and four shirts. I'm supposed to come in for a fitting Wednesday evening (or Thursday during the lunch break if we work too long).

On the way back to the hotel I meet one of my favorite people in the FATF crowd, and am roped into a brief visit of an open-air bar at Boat Quay. One beer, that's all, while talking shop for a while.

Wednesday we do the fitting – the suits fit great, as do the shirts, I take all of them along right away. The vest is way too wide (funny that) and I'll pick it up on Friday (or if I can't make it he'll send it by mail, which is in fact how it turns out).

I take a class of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at Evolve therafter. Thursday evening I'm out with a couple of people at Boat Quay again, though I quit the party pretty early. There was the hope of meeting an old acquaintance from way back again who is currently stationed in Japan but in Singapore today – but we found out about it too late, and so the opportunity passes.

I'm still happy to be back in the hotel at a reasonable time – we're just sitting around a table talking all day, but it's still exhausting work (as usual, the Fund has brought several people while I'm here without backup). And it's the second week of that, without a proper weekend in between (partially my fault, I know, I know).


No comments:

Post a Comment